Hello everyone, today I’m doing the topic for Top Ten Tuesday this week, which is on the “top then things that make me pick up a book” which I think is a really interesting thing to talk about especially since I’m sure it varies with everyone.
- the genre: the first thing I tend to do when looking at a book is seeing which genre it’s in, as there are genres that I love, genres I’m not a fan of, and genres where it’s a bit of a hit or miss with me when it comes to reading books within them. Usually, if a book is fantasy or historical fiction or sci-fi, I will immediately be interested.
- the level of sexual content: if there’s too much sexual content, meaning it’s the main focus of the story and it’s graphic, then I’m not interested although if I find this out when I’ve already started the book and am really enjoying it, I do just skip those bits and it’s fine, like with Throne of Glass or TMI, for example. Which is a reason why I think I’m not that great when it comes to recommendations with people who also have a problem with sexual content because I skip those bits and then completely forget they even existed.
- the protagonist (subconscious?): this may be a subconscious thing – well, is definitely a subconscious thing – or maybe not, I don’t know…. but I’ve realised that the huge majority of the books I read have a female protagonist??
- the storyline: it depends whether the storyline is something I’m interested with or not
- the setting: not that the setting of a book would put me off, but it may increase my interest in a book
- the title: really! if a book has a really intriguing title then that can definitely increase my interest in it
- the book cover: same with titles
- reviews by other book reviewers: this is actually one of the first things I do, sometimes before I even look at the blurb of a book, I’ll just see the title, see the cover, dive straight for the review section, especially to the reviews from reviewers that I follow!
- Goodreads average rating: similar to reading reviews from other reviewers, although reflects the majority of the reviewers’ thoughts more simply as well
- availability: whether I’m able to borrow it from the library or on OverDrive or whether I decide to borrow it from a friend or buy it… this is also something important that I need to settle before picking up the book, obviously!
What makes you pick up a book?